Aaron Pierre immediately makes an impression as John Stewart. I had never seen him in anything before this, but his presence is undeniable, and his chemistry with Kyle Chandler is one of the show's strongest elements. Their banter is entertaining and gives the relationship some much-needed energy. John being inexperienced works well for the first episode, but I'm hoping the character develops into the confident leader he becomes in the comics.
Kyle Chandler plays Hal Jordan as a nonchalant and jaded veteran, although his interpretation doesn't quite work for me. In the comics, Hal is supposed to be a leader and a rival to John, but here he feels more like a misplaced teacher. The power dynamic is also far too one-sided, which takes away from what should be a more balanced rivalry. Chandler also lays on the seriousness of the ring a little too heavily for my taste. Kelly Macdonald does a decent job with the role she's given, although her character feels somewhat forced. I do appreciate that she's named Sheriff Kerry Kane, which is a nice nod to Gil Kane. If you know, you know.
Overall, Lanterns
has a solid start and benefits tremendously from Aaron Pierre's immediate screen presence and his chemistry with Kyle Chandler. There are some clear differences from the comics that I'm not entirely sold on, particularly the relationship between Hal and John, but the foundation is promising. As a fan of Green Lantern, John Stewart, and Kyle Rayner, I'm interested to see where the series goes from here. Result: B+
Comments
Post a Comment