Skip to main content

Insidious: Out of the Further (2026)


Insidious: Out of the Further
is written and directed by Jacob Chase, who has made some solid shorts in the past but is making the first major motion picture of his that I've seen. There is very little to criticize about his direction, particularly when it comes to setting up scares. Chase understands how to build tension and makes especially good use of the film's more claustrophobic scenes, creating an uncomfortable atmosphere without relying entirely on cheap jump scares. The direction and horror setup are the film's strongest elements, even if the overall story doesn't quite reach the level needed for a full recommendation.

Amelia Eve delivers a performance that feels reminiscent of Naomi Watts in The Ring. She channels that same exhausted and increasingly desperate energy, making her character feel convincing as the supernatural events escalate around her. The performance fits the tone of the franchise well and helps ground the film's more unsettling moments.

Lin Shaye, known for A Nightmare on Elm Street and Critters, returns as the franchise's horror royalty and proves she hasn't lost a step at 82. Given what happened to her character in previous installments, you may have thought her time with the series was finished, but she's just as sharp with her dialogue as ever. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how impressive she remains, and while I hope this isn't her last outing, I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Charli Penton plays the young Gemma and stands out as the stronger of the film's two child actresses. She handles the horror material well and gives the character more presence than expected. Maisie Richardson-Sellers, known for The Originals and Legends of Tomorrow, also has a memorable role and makes an impression whenever she's on screen. Unfortunately, her character is somewhat one-dimensional, limiting what she can do with the performance.

Overall, Insidious: Out of the Further delivers what horror fans expect from the franchise, with good scares, effective tension, and particularly strong claustrophobic sequences. Jacob Chase shows a good understanding of how to stage horror, while the cast, especially Lin Shaye, helps elevate the material. It falls just short of being something I would actively recommend to everyone, but horror fans will probably see it regardless and should find enough here to enjoy. Result: B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves (2023)

  Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves  is a fantasy epic involving a band of misfit thieves who have to save the sword coast from a powerful red wizard. Written and directed by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley , D&D has a ton of tropes that fans of the tabletop game will recognize and - insert ackchyually meme - there are a lot of things that don't transfer over. I heard this movie was going to emasculate men in the writing, I didn't notice it so much. There were little bits but nothing glaring like in Incredibles 2 . Daley is a well-known actor from Freaks and Geeks and later in Bones. Goldstein is better known for Spider-man: Homecoming, Game Night, and Horrible Bosses . Chris Pine suffers the need for character growth as does Justice Smith , where the female characters are pretty much stagnant throughout the film. A small exception for Sophia Lillis's character who has a minor arch. A real surprise in this film was RegĂ©-Jean Page . I did not like him...

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023)

  Shazam! Fury of the Gods  is the sequel, and probably the last Shazam! movie for a while. With the reboot coming later this year, any setup this has for an end to a trilogy is up in the air. Directed by David F. Sandberg,  who I loved for Lights Out . It's interesting that James Wan, known for horror took David F Sandberg under his wing and now they both direct major DC super hero movies. They should really stick to horror. Maybe I'm just biased because I love horror. Henry Gayden  is back in the writing room, even though it wasn't the writing that brought people to see the first Shazam! This time I think the writing is actually worse. There are subplots that land and some that feel overly forced and politicized. Some actors didn't get enough dialogue or scenes to do much in. Some characters felt throwaway and to check a box. Grace Caroline Currey was top-billed or at least is at the top of the list for IMDB. She really carries the film for Shazam, she makes all th...