Skip to main content

The Fall Guy (2024)

 

The Fall Guy is about a stuntman who tries to rekindle his old relationship even at the cost of his own health.

David Leitch has improved his craft since directing Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw and Deadpool 2. There weren't any glaring or subtle flaws in direction this time. It was tightly shot with no scenes seemingly unnecessary. Speaking of improving, Drew Pearce has improved his writing since Iron Man 3 and I believe everyone who has seen both would agree. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he had done just the screenplay for Iron Man 3.

Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt have surprisingly a lot of chemistry. I thought surely I would keep thinking Blunt would have some hesitation doing a romantic comedy action and be able to sell it. I thought I would be thinking of how John Krasinski would feel but she was a professional. Gosling has reignited the flame of the "movie star" that many people would say has died.

The supporting cast of both Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Winston Duke were both great in their moments and vital to the story. Neither felt shoehorned in and the small appearance of Stephanie Hsu was memorable despite how short it was. You might remember Johnson from Avengers: Age of Ultron and Kick-Ass. Duke you'll remember as M'Baku from Black Panthers and the dad in Jordan Peele's Us. Hsu was in the forgettable Joy Ride but you might know her as Mei from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

The film is a genre-bender with something for everyone. It has made it to the top of my list for twenty-twenty-four. Result: A





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...

Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves (2023)

  Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves  is a fantasy epic involving a band of misfit thieves who have to save the sword coast from a powerful red wizard. Written and directed by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley , D&D has a ton of tropes that fans of the tabletop game will recognize and - insert ackchyually meme - there are a lot of things that don't transfer over. I heard this movie was going to emasculate men in the writing, I didn't notice it so much. There were little bits but nothing glaring like in Incredibles 2 . Daley is a well-known actor from Freaks and Geeks and later in Bones. Goldstein is better known for Spider-man: Homecoming, Game Night, and Horrible Bosses . Chris Pine suffers the need for character growth as does Justice Smith , where the female characters are pretty much stagnant throughout the film. A small exception for Sophia Lillis's character who has a minor arch. A real surprise in this film was Regé-Jean Page . I did not like him...