Skip to main content

Fly Me to the Moon (2024)

 

Fly Me to the Moon is a romantic comedy that uses the conspiracy that the moon landing was faked. 

I was lucky enough to get an advanced screening of this film. The film was directed by Greg Berlanti who did the 2018 drama Love, Simon. He's better known as the producer of CW's The Flash and Arrow. In terms of direction, I would have reshot a lot of the beginning of the film. The later half is much better and I would have utilized the acting potential of the stars in the film.

Scarlett Johansson does a great job with accents and delivering the dialogue. It's easy to see her in the role of a PR representative and saleswoman. She also sells the idea that she likes Channing Tatum. He's easy on the eyes but he needs a better acting coach. I wonder how well he does with criticism because his acting hasn't improved over the years.

Woody Harrelson was the ideal choice to play Moe the government agent. He's the most entertaining person when he's on screen and you look forward to seeing him again. Ray Romano plays a dufus and because of his time in Everyone Loves Raymond the audience really agreed that he was that person. 

The audience laughed a few times and there were scenes that I really enjoyed, it's not worth seeing in the theaters, wait for Netflix. Result: B-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...