Skip to main content

Heart of Stone (2023)

 

Heart of Stone is a fantasy spy thriller for Netflix starring Gal Gadot.

Directed by Tom Harper who isn't really known in the States. He was nominated for a BAFTA and there isn't much wrong with the direction as much of the flaws of the film lie with the acting and writing. I was excited to see Greg Rucka was on the writer's table as he wrote The Old Guard which makes me think he wrote the action scenes which were okay if not worse. The progressive writing probably comes from Allison Schroeder which only hindered the movie. I know she's a capable writer as she wrote Hidden Figures. It feels like they're trying to make Salt or Atomic Blonde but with Gal Gadot as the lead and make it more modern and for a female audience. Action films typically have a male audience and so perhaps that was why it felt off.

Gal Gadot does not sell the idea that she's just a tech girl who's into chess. She also just walks through all the lines and doesn't emote much throughout the movie. She still has that look she can give like she knows exactly what you're thinking and it's not her worst performance with what she was given. I doubt she gave notes to Harper but if she did, Harper ignored her. 

Jamie Dorman played the punching bag, metaphorically, in the film. He was my least favorite part of the film. His whole character was poorly written and his performance was eye-rolling. You might remember him from the Fifty Shades franchise. His acting hasn't gotten any better, if anything because of the writing I would say I'd rather watch Fifty Shades of Grey. 

The film was a chore to finish. I couldn't wait for it to be over. This film will be forgotten by most. It's still better than some this year though because of Harper and Gadot. Result: D+



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...