Skip to main content

Paint (2023)

 


Paint is a comedy involving a painter who dresses very much like Bob Ross but acts like a rockstar.

Written and directed by Brit McAdams, better known for the first years of Comedy Central's tv show Tosh.0. As far as I know he hasn't really done much before this in terms of movies. It shows. There are some issues of pacing and he relies on Owen Wilson's acting to come through but it doesn't hide his writing problems.

Speaking of Owen Wilson, who is the main character Carl Nargle, he seemed to take the role because it was a paycheck and allowed him to be goofy. Also being idolized throughout the film is probably a plus to his ego. I like Wilson's humor that he brings to the film and keeps it from being trash. If it was anyone else in the role I think it would have been horrible.

How do I know it would have been horrible? Well, the movie has a lot of Ciara Renee who has a certain charm that she brings to the role but her acting is still that of CW quality since she's Hawkgirl. 

Michaela Watkins is also a major character in the film, but she feels so awkward from the bad writing. Her character makes odd decisions that don't really fit the person she was written to be which gives Watkins a sort of guessing game as to the delivery McAdams wanted to see. This film doesn't help her mediocre career. I still need to see Werewolves Within but I have too many movies on my to-watch list.

The film made a guy laugh a lot in the theater but everyone else was silent through those moments. It wasn't as boring as Inside was but it wasn't as good as Shazam! Fury of the Gods. I say those two movies because they're both C- and this film will be placed right between those two. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves (2023)

  Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves  is a fantasy epic involving a band of misfit thieves who have to save the sword coast from a powerful red wizard. Written and directed by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley , D&D has a ton of tropes that fans of the tabletop game will recognize and - insert ackchyually meme - there are a lot of things that don't transfer over. I heard this movie was going to emasculate men in the writing, I didn't notice it so much. There were little bits but nothing glaring like in Incredibles 2 . Daley is a well-known actor from Freaks and Geeks and later in Bones. Goldstein is better known for Spider-man: Homecoming, Game Night, and Horrible Bosses . Chris Pine suffers the need for character growth as does Justice Smith , where the female characters are pretty much stagnant throughout the film. A small exception for Sophia Lillis's character who has a minor arch. A real surprise in this film was Regé-Jean Page . I did not like him...

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023)

  Shazam! Fury of the Gods  is the sequel, and probably the last Shazam! movie for a while. With the reboot coming later this year, any setup this has for an end to a trilogy is up in the air. Directed by David F. Sandberg,  who I loved for Lights Out . It's interesting that James Wan, known for horror took David F Sandberg under his wing and now they both direct major DC super hero movies. They should really stick to horror. Maybe I'm just biased because I love horror. Henry Gayden  is back in the writing room, even though it wasn't the writing that brought people to see the first Shazam! This time I think the writing is actually worse. There are subplots that land and some that feel overly forced and politicized. Some actors didn't get enough dialogue or scenes to do much in. Some characters felt throwaway and to check a box. Grace Caroline Currey was top-billed or at least is at the top of the list for IMDB. She really carries the film for Shazam, she makes all th...