Skip to main content

Cocaine Bear (2023)

 


Cocaine Bear is a film inspired by true events about various individuals getting maimed or killed by a drug-addicted bear. 

Directed by the hit-or-miss director Elizabeth Banks. Don't get me wrong, I disliked 2019's Charlie's Angels heavily, but Pitch Perfect 2 was a movie I'll watch more than once. If I were her, I'd stick to what she was good at for acting like Brightburn, The Hunger Games, and The 40-Year-Old Virgin and then make movies similar to those. 

Half the film follows Alden Ehrenreich and O'Shea Jackson Jr. and their quest to find all of the cocaine in the forest for their criminal boss. My thoughts on Han Solo from Ehrenreich have changed over the years of lackluster Star Wars films and tv. Jackson has only given me one bad performance and most people will recognize him from Straight Out of Compton. He did well here dealing with all the misfortune his character had throughout the film.

Keri Russel plays the other half of this adventure film where she looks to find her mischievous child and her best friend. Russel looks really good for her age and seems to play a character in her late twenties or early thirties despite being forty-six. While Russel was misused in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, she will always be Felicity to me. 

The film delivers what the title suggests. Unfortunately, there was a young woman who wouldn't get off of TikTok in front of me. I doubt she watched twenty minutes of the film. I enjoyed the film, it's solid and doesn't have much downtime. Perhaps the support of numerous producers helped make this Banks' first good film, including Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, known for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse and The Lego Movie. Regardless, good job Banks, don't lean into the victim too much and people might enjoy looking forward to your films.

Result: B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...