Skip to main content

Dune (2021)

 


Dune is the sci-fi political epic that inspired Star Wars. This remake was reimagined by Denis Villeneuve, who is easily becoming one of my favorite modern directors.

Written and directed by Denis Villeneuve, Dune is atmospheric and meticulous. Everything has meaning and purpose. Nothing feels out of place, and the political drama isn't expository. That was something I was worried about going into the film. Villeneuve took the leadership to make a sequel to one of the best sci-fi movies of all time Blade Runner, and perhaps lightning does strike twice.

Academy Award nominee Timothee Chalamet, who is probably be known for Call Me by Your Name, needed to have his acting on point throughout the movie since there are so many close-ups of him to portray such a complicated but easily understood character. He's supposed to feel unimpressive at first and grows as a character to fulfill the arc that is asked of him. I couldn't think of a better cast for Paul Atreides.

There is such a large cast for this film, Zendaya, Oscar Isaac, Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgard, and even Javier Bardem. Some of which I totally lose them in their character, especially Bardem and Skarsgard. Even if his role was diminished for returns on the sequel since this epic was broken into two parts. 

You might be wondering why I didn't mention Rebecca Ferguson and that's because I wanted to talk about her particularly. She wasn't given much to act on in Mission Impossible and she did well in Doctor Sleep, and my thoughts on Reminiscence should probably stay silent. But, in this film I can say she gives her best effort and you can really tell her acting lessons are starting to pay off. This won't be the film that gives her an oscar nomination but I could see her being cast in an oscar movie one of these days because of how much she has grown.

I was glad I had played the board game Dune Imperium before watching this movie as there are a lot of different terms that might lose some of the audience. I haven't read the book or seen the original movie, shocker I know, but perhaps now would be a good time to go back and read the book. 

I haven't felt this way about a movie since 2019 which feels so far away now. Easy A in my book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...