Skip to main content

The Mirror (1975)

The Mirror is an enigma, biographical, and very unorthodox film about early 20th century Soviet Union.

Andrei Tarkovsky has been a name on my list of movies I should watch for quite some time. It was recommended to me by a fellow movie buff a long time ago. I didn't know what I was getting into watching this film.

This movie takes what you think is going to happen and throws it out the window both in what's happening and when. A woman sees a fire, walks towards a well, empties the water in the pail and then sits and watches the fire. Two children run to watch the fire but the camera focuses on the empty table instead of cutting to the fire just mentioned. It's throwing the viewer off their game by giving them something they don't expect and challenging you to watch the movie without expectations. The movie doesn't explain what's going on and lets you just watch and wonder.

The sound effects are eerie and add to the feel of the film. Then the whole film switches from eerie towards a drama. Keeping you once again on your toes. Long scenes of just music and events that you're supposed to dissect.

The whole storytelling element is also thrown away too, which I imagine for the average movie going audience would be confusing or boring. I found it intriguing and made me want to sit and think about what I'm watching. Wanting to pause it and discuss it with someone.

The man's voice speaks in narration but nothing of what you expect to hear, usually it would be something to further the understanding of the film but it does the opposite. Once again challenging your expectations. There are moments where I audibly said "What?!" Over and over, again there isn't any explanation as we just sit in witness to what's going on.

The film is almost like telling different stories and not really giving everything in the details of each story. It changes characters and timelines as well as gives you a sense that everything is connected or maybe not. The film is trying to subvert your expectations since you expect everything to be connected so maybe it's not, or is it? It wasn't till a little more than halfway in the movie did I realize everything. I don't want to spoil it for you since the movie is intending to confuse you.

Result: A (One of the strangest and beautifully embracing movies I've ever seen. It's not for your average movie-goer though.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...