Skip to main content

Spider-man: Homecoming (2017)


Spider-Man: Homecoming is the homecoming of one of Marvel's favorite superheroes: Spider-Man. This time Falcon is after Spidey and Happy is not...happy about it.

One of the reason's I'm writing this review is because of John Francis Daley who you might recognize from Bones as Lance. He's got a new movie coming out this Friday called Game Night. Spider-Man: Homecoming had wonderful writing, there wasn't a dull moment and the flow of the movie went from scene to scene. I loved the dialogue too as a calling card of Spider-Man it's only expected that he has awesome lines.

I saw a Jon Watts film before I saw this called Clown. It was creepy and well directed for a nearly straight to DVD release. I actually saw it in the theater because I was working in one at the time. Marvel is great about taking young almost no-name directors and giving them a chance at the big times. Or maybe the producers do so much of the work you don't know that the director doesn't do anything. I don't agree with that last statement but it is a possibility.

Tom Holland is a perfect Spider-Man. I imagine when he's twenty-nine he'll still look young enough to play Spider-Man. His apprehension when around girls and his charisma when he has the mask on is just ideal. How he just relaxes in weird spots because he's Spider-Man is also just great and fits the comic book character.

The bad guy played by Michael Keaton isn't the first time we've seen Keaton as a birdman but that's why the pick is so perfect. It's almost like there was a joke layered when they did the casting. Keaton has the range like that of Jack Nickson and because of that, we get a great performance and with a villain that has a reason behind his madness.

Result: B+ (The same grade I gave Black Panther. I think Homecoming is more enjoyable, but Panther is better directed)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...