Skip to main content

Black Panther (2018)

Black Panther is another comic book movie although this time with an almost all-black cast and a message about isolationism.

Ryan Coogler directs this film and does a wonderful job portraying a fictional afro-futurism. There are flaws with the CGI which isn't something I expected from a Marvel movie. There are some long takes and the dialogue is good. Some of the accents could have been directed better.

Chadwick Boseman plays the Black Panther who is coming into his own as the ruler of a kingdom. His acting doesn't have any problems but there's just a hard feeling of realism to his performance. It's almost goofy at times. There were people laughing in the theater at scenes that I wasn't sure was meant to be funny. Maybe it's an inside joke. His interactions with his mother seem off but his relationship with his sister and girlfriend seem spot on.

Michael B. Jordan plays the antagonist Killmonger who holds a grudge against Black Panther's father for murdering Killmonger's father back in the 90s. For someone who has killed so many, he holds himself together pretty well when he's at the end. I won't spoil for you what happens to his character but it harped back to a similar comic book movie with Batman vs. Superman.

Lupita Nyong'o wasn't anything special but then again she wasn't bad. I wanted more emotion out of her. I mean her fight scenes are good but there was a bit lacking from her performance.

Result: B+ (It doesn't live up to the hype but still a good superhero movie.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...