Skip to main content

The Open House (2018)

Mom and Son have to move into a new home after a tragedy but the twist is that it's their aunt's home and they're trying to sell it. So every weekend there's an open house for people to come in, but did they come out?

The Open House is directed and written by Matt Angel and Suzanne Coote. This is both of their's really first time trying a major movie. Major enough for Netflix to put their name on the title. I watched this with my niece and she loved the first half. I've seen enough horror movies to kinda guess where this one was headed. She was surprised. I suppose that's good writing, but only for a niche crowd.

Dylan Minnette acted as if someone told him, just be a teenager like you were in 13 Reasons Why and Don't Breath. He pauses before he speaks, he consistently has furrowed brows and pursed lips. Don't get me wrong he's a talented actor. He's just pigeonholing himself. I know he has the drive to show range.

Piercey Dalton doesn't sell being a mother, especially a mother who has befallen tragedy. Her lines were delivered with odd rollercoaster emotions and it's weird when the teenager can act better than the mom. She hasn't really been in much and with this performance, I bet she'll continue to go down that path.

There are movies that people try to make thinking "I'm gonna make a movie where no one can guess the ending" and it comes off as insulting and not original at all. The film is one big let down and the jump scares at almost always false ones which most horror fanatics hate. There is only one glimmer of appreciation in the film an that Dylan Minnette.

Result: D+ (One big let down in writing, acting, and delivery. It's not direct to DVD horrible though)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...