Skip to main content

The Marvels (2023)

 


The Marvels is a team-up between three women superheroes to save the universe from Dar-Benn.

Written and directed by Nia DaCosta, this isn't the first time Marvel Studios has given a little-known director a chance at a major motion picture. Sure, she directed Candyman (2021), but it was pretty bad and quite progressive and not in a good way. There are some eye-rolling scenes: a jump rope montage, a singing and dancing alien planet, and a bunch of cats. She writes Dar-Benn as a villain who is supposed to be someone you can understand why she does the things she does but it comes off like a teenager who holds a grudge.

Brie Larson reprises her role as Captain Marvel. She seems like she's really just ready for the role to be over with each scene she's in. She lacks emotions and doesn't interact well with her supposed friend who she hasn't seen in decades. Her character is inconsistent, she could single-handedly take down Thanos but now she struggles against a Kree General.  After Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, I never thought I'd hear Brie sing again. It wasn't what I expected.

Teyonah Parris plays Monica Rambeau who probably is the best actor among the three, and also the best looking but that's beside the point. She moves the plot forward while Ms. Marvel tries to add comic relief and I don't know what Captain Marvel's motivation is. Perhaps she intends to inspire leadership but the writing doesn't give her that dialogue.

Iman Vellani plays Ms. Marvel. She tries her best to be relatable and a comic relief but audiences didn't like Captain Marvel from the first film so I imagine audiences will have a hard time relating to someone fangirling over Brie Larson in every scene. She's insufferable and I was surprised I liked her less than Captain Marvel. Also at one point, Ms. Marvel uses her powers without her power source. It seems like the writer didn't watch the Ms. Marvel show.

The worst acting goes to Zawe Ashton who overacts in every scene. She plays the big bad. Her actions, though written as inspiring for the Kree, I found it unconvincing. Her character is nothing like that of the comics and has not only been gender-swapped but also race-swapped. 

The writing is really bad. There is a moment when something new shows up that has never really been seen before and the characters instantly know what to do to fix it. No studying or research is needed. It's bad, not too bad, and it passed the time. Result: C-


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves (2023)

  Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves  is a fantasy epic involving a band of misfit thieves who have to save the sword coast from a powerful red wizard. Written and directed by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley , D&D has a ton of tropes that fans of the tabletop game will recognize and - insert ackchyually meme - there are a lot of things that don't transfer over. I heard this movie was going to emasculate men in the writing, I didn't notice it so much. There were little bits but nothing glaring like in Incredibles 2 . Daley is a well-known actor from Freaks and Geeks and later in Bones. Goldstein is better known for Spider-man: Homecoming, Game Night, and Horrible Bosses . Chris Pine suffers the need for character growth as does Justice Smith , where the female characters are pretty much stagnant throughout the film. A small exception for Sophia Lillis's character who has a minor arch. A real surprise in this film was Regé-Jean Page . I did not like him...

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023)

  Shazam! Fury of the Gods  is the sequel, and probably the last Shazam! movie for a while. With the reboot coming later this year, any setup this has for an end to a trilogy is up in the air. Directed by David F. Sandberg,  who I loved for Lights Out . It's interesting that James Wan, known for horror took David F Sandberg under his wing and now they both direct major DC super hero movies. They should really stick to horror. Maybe I'm just biased because I love horror. Henry Gayden  is back in the writing room, even though it wasn't the writing that brought people to see the first Shazam! This time I think the writing is actually worse. There are subplots that land and some that feel overly forced and politicized. Some actors didn't get enough dialogue or scenes to do much in. Some characters felt throwaway and to check a box. Grace Caroline Currey was top-billed or at least is at the top of the list for IMDB. She really carries the film for Shazam, she makes all th...