Skip to main content

Pathaan (2023)

 


Pathaan is a Bollywood movie about an Indian secret agent who has to save his homeland from a group of mercenaries.

Written and Directed by Siddharth Anand. Anand takes a lot of his inspiration from the Mission Impossible and Fast and Furious franchises. If I'm wrong about that, then there certainly are a lot of similarities.

The film stars Shah Rukh Khan, who is considered one of the four Ruling Khans of Bollywood. Some critics would call him the Tom Cruise of Bollywood, but in my eyes, they are totally different. He has a flair about him throughout the film that is unmistakably confident. He fits perfectly for this film as I wanted his character to succeed in saving the day. People interested in seeing eye candy will also enjoy this film because of him.

Deepika Padukone is the lead actress in the film and love interest opposite Shah. I first saw her in xXx: Return of Xander Cage with Vin Diesel. I can imagine she learned a lot from her experience in Hollywood, even if she might not want to be associated with the film. She's gorgeous, no doubt, but she can also sell the fact she's a spy. I look forward to seeing her in Fighter which she teams up with Anand again to make an Indian Top Gun-style movie.

Salman Khan makes a brief but memorable cameo as Tiger, reprising his role from There Once Was a Tiger, Tiger Lives, and the upcoming Tiger 3. 

Every time the movie would have John Abraham on screen a musical cue would chime. I loved it. The film knew what it was doing and it worked. John plays the bad guy who wants to harm people with a twisted and believable motive. 

I'm glad there's a large Indian population just 15 minutes east of me otherwise this film might not have played in my area. Pathaan is a film American audiences will overlook unless word of mouth spreads about the film as it did with RRR. In my eyes this film is better than RRR, sure it has some janky cgi but I was engaged for the 2 hours and 26 minutes. Pathaan is a solid B.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...