Skip to main content

Knock at the Cabin (2023)

 


Knock at the Cabin is about four people, all with a collective vision of the apocalypse, who take a family hostage and give them the ultimate decision to make.

Director M. Night Shyamalan brings a certain flair to the film. You know him from Six Sense, Split, and probably my favorite of his, Signs. I have only minor issues with his direction and it's mostly at the beginning with the dialogue scenes between the main villain and the child. There's nothing that really stands out in a positive way as the movie is very safe for a Shyamalan film in terms of direction. Also, I want to note this is not a horror film in any way. It's a thriller.

Writing on the other hand he shares with Steve Desmond and Michael Sherman, both relative newcomers to the screenplay scene, who won plenty of awards for their short film Monsters. The writing has some good notes and some bad ones. Let's start with the bad ones. The film fails to make a convincing argument for this apocalypse being a hoax and leans heavily into it being real. Most audience members would feel disappointed if there wasn't a true sense of impending doom. Also making the audience feel right about their intuition can be a good thing, the audience also has different expectations coming from Shyamalan.

Dave Batista is really trying to break out from his meat-head muscle-bound type cast. I'd say he's working on it and moving in the right direction with this film. I wouldn't say I'd go out of my way to see a Batista film, but he's moving the dial. He plays the leader of the four hostage-takers. I won't say more, but if you've watched the trailer it's already spoiled it for you. If I were you I'd avoid trailers for this movie.

In terms of acting Ben Aldridge stood out to me as someone who was putting as much into this film as Batista was. He acted in Pennyworth as Thomas Wayne. He plays a very fierce and loving father/husband. He plays the person you expect to man up in a hostage situation and make the tough decisions when it counts. I enjoyed his performance.

All in all the film delivers an enjoyable hour and forty minutes despite safe direction and questionable writing. I say questionable because this movie will hit differently for specific audiences. Because of that, I can't recommend it to everyone. I still enjoyed the film and it's still a solid B.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...