Skip to main content

Infinity Pool (2023)

 



Infinity Pool is a hedonistic acid trip with allegories to the current media-political landscape.

Written and Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, son of the King of Venereal Horror, David Cronenberg. Most people know David from the 1986 film The Fly. Brandon on the other hand is still best known as living in his father's long shadow. Brandon has a lot to say in the film and sometimes I can't tell if the directorial choices are intentionally backward to sell a message or just because he's a relatively new director. I think on the positive side, that his father gave him the tools to speak. 

The film stars Alexander Skarsgard who you might recognize as The Northman, True Blood, or The Legend of Tarzan. I always thought it was interesting that Skarsgard played The Northman and in True Blood, he was also named Northman. Here he plays James Foster, an aspiring writer who would go to many lengths to gain fame and a fanbase.

Mia Goth has been in a lot lately and I loved Pearl last year. If you missed Pearl and X last year then perhaps you saw the remake of Suspiria and the 2016 film A Cure for Wellness. Mia can really show her range but the academy will ignore her until she puts out something during Oscar season which ended in December. She plays many roles in the film all within one character as she is the manifestation of fame. Her character at first is someone Foster lusts after. 

Foster lusts after her at first, then slowly starts to understand that fame comes at a cost, then at the end of the film she's removed all the temptation of fame and if I'm not mistaken she is without make-up at all. None of this is really a spoiler as I imagine the subtext of the film will mostly go unnoticed. I'm not sure who Cronenberg was making this film for. It appears he made it for himself and those who expected him to follow in his father's famous footsteps. I get that it's a play on how the world is right now. People kill their former selves to become someone famous. Examples are Howard Stern and Steven Colbert. They were very different people in the 1990s and 2000s than they are today. I believe that was Brandon's message, maybe not those people exactly but the message was the same.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I would recommend the film and some of the directorial choices prevent me from calling it a good film, but it's above average. B-


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...