Skip to main content

Barbarian (2022)

 




Barbarian is about a woman staying at an AirBnB and discovers that there is more to the house she has rented than what was expected.

Written and Directed by Zach Cregger, Barbarian is the third film behind Miss March and The Civil War on Drugs. Both were forgettable and both were before Cregger knew really how to direct. This change is night and day, almost like how Ben Affleck made the switch over from doing Gili in 2003 to The Town in 2010. The writing is just shy of great. A great horror film will keep you wondering just how things will end. There certainly were moments I was wondering just how Cregger would end this film. There are some predictable scenes and certain directorial choices make you believe for a second that something else is happening entirely. There is one scene of exposition I despised and didn't help the storyline at all except pander to audiences that aren't intelligent.

Georgina Campbell plays Tess, the main character. She is expressive and carries the film. She's vulnerable and smart. There are scenes where she does the logical choice unlike many 70s and 80s horror. I had never seen her before in anything but she's probably best known for Black Mirror since most people don't have apple tv and have seen the show Suspicion


Bill Skarsgard plays a character who at first you're not sure if you should trust and then later down the line you definitely find out if you were right or wrong. There's a great line in the film where he says "Do I look like a monster?" where I smiled at that thought since he played Pennywise in Steven King's It. I enjoyed his performance for what he did.

Justin Long's character wasn't relatable but every adult audience member could quickly recognize where Cregger was going with this character. He made choices that were suitable for his character and the audience will really want to root against his character's survival. This isn't Long's first horror rodeo as he was in his breakout role for Jeepers Creepers, (some might say Galaxy Quest but I disagree) Tusk, and Idiocracy. Yes, I consider that a horror film. Just look at how scary that film was.

I started with a grade higher than where it settled. I tend to rate horror movies higher at first glance and then upon longer inspection, they go lower for my grading. It started at a low A- and now I'm settled on a B+.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleepwalker (2026)

Sleepwalker is a horror thriller written and directed by Brandon Auman , who quickly reminds us why his career has primarily been in television rather than feature films. Writing for children's television can sometimes get away with simplistic dialogue and storytelling, but those weaknesses become glaring when stretched into a feature-length horror movie. The screenplay is filled with clunky dialogue and predictable horror beats, while the jump scares rarely land. Instead of creating tension, the film repeatedly left me sighing in boredom. Hayden Panettiere delivers a strong performance despite the material she's been given. It's clear that many of her lines weren't written with much care, but she does what she can to make the character feel believable. Knowing this is her final film makes the performance bittersweet, especially because she deserved a much better script to go out on. Fortunately, her performance here doesn't diminish the work she's done in bet...

Lanterns EP1 (2026)

Lanterns is one of the few television shows I've felt compelled to review because I'm a big fan of Green Lantern , particularly Kyle Rayner and John Stewart . While the story focuses somewhat more on Hal Jordan , I'm glad we get a solid actor playing John. The first episode does a good job establishing that John is still green and new to the situation, pun intended. The show has a solid foundation, although its interpretation of the Green Lantern characters isn't always what I would have preferred. Aaron Pierre immediately makes an impression as John Stewart . I had never seen him in anything before this, but his presence is undeniable, and his chemistry with Kyle Chandler is one of the show's strongest elements. Their banter is entertaining and gives the relationship some much-needed energy. John being inexperienced works well for the first episode, but I'm hoping the character develops into the confident leader he becomes in the comics. Kyle Chandler play...

Mutiny (2026)

Mutiny is directed by Jean-François Richet , who directed Plane , and also who once again proves to be a better action director than character developer. The film's action sequences are staged effectively, but some of the quieter scenes feel strangely undercooked. I'm not sure if Richet simply ignored certain issues or chose to use the first take in order to save money, but several moments lack the polish the rest of the film displays. Writers Lindsay Michel and J.P. Davis do a good job setting up the action and giving Jason Statham's character a believable reason to find himself out on a boat, but the dialogue can be atrocious at times. The story works when it focuses on its action, but the writing becomes a noticeable weakness whenever the characters stop moving long enough to talk. Jason Statham , known for The Transporter and The Beekeeper , does exactly what audiences expect from him and does it well. He commands every scene he's in, bringing his usual physica...