Skip to main content

Barbarian (2022)

 




Barbarian is about a woman staying at an AirBnB and discovers that there is more to the house she has rented than what was expected.

Written and Directed by Zach Cregger, Barbarian is the third film behind Miss March and The Civil War on Drugs. Both were forgettable and both were before Cregger knew really how to direct. This change is night and day, almost like how Ben Affleck made the switch over from doing Gili in 2003 to The Town in 2010. The writing is just shy of great. A great horror film will keep you wondering just how things will end. There certainly were moments I was wondering just how Cregger would end this film. There are some predictable scenes and certain directorial choices make you believe for a second that something else is happening entirely. There is one scene of exposition I despised and didn't help the storyline at all except pander to audiences that aren't intelligent.

Georgina Campbell plays Tess, the main character. She is expressive and carries the film. She's vulnerable and smart. There are scenes where she does the logical choice unlike many 70s and 80s horror. I had never seen her before in anything but she's probably best known for Black Mirror since most people don't have apple tv and have seen the show Suspicion. 


Bill Skarsgard plays a character who at first you're not sure if you should trust and then later down the line you definitely find out if you were right or wrong. There's a great line in the film where he says "Do I look like a monster?" where I smiled at that thought since he played Pennywise in Steven King's It. I enjoyed his performance for what he did.

Justin Long's character wasn't relatable but every adult audience member could quickly recognize where Cregger was going with this character. He made choices that were suitable for his character and the audience will really want to root against his character's survival. This isn't Long's first horror rodeo as he was in his breakout role for Jeepers Creepers, (some might say Galaxy Quest but I disagree) Tusk, and Idiocracy. Yes, I consider that a horror film. Just look at how scary that film was.

I started with a grade higher than where it settled. I tend to rate horror movies higher at first glance and then upon longer inspection, they go lower for my grading. It started at a low A- and now I'm settled on a B+.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Social Reckoning (2026)

The Social Reckoning is written and directed by Aaron Sorkin , who is better known for his writing than his directing, and it shows. Compared to David Fincher's vision in The Social Network , the direction here is a noticeable step down. Thankfully, the writing is top tier and easily on par with some of Sorkin's best work. The dialogue is sharp, the story holds your attention, and the script gives the cast plenty to work with. The movie is good, but it is not going to be for everyone. Mikey Madison , known for Anora and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood , is a standout as Frances Haugen . She does an excellent job convincing the audience that she is socially awkward and a genuine nerd without making the performance feel forced. It is the kind of role that could easily become a caricature in the wrong hands, but Madison makes the character believable and gives the film one of its strongest performances. Jeremy Allen White , best known for The Bear and Shameless , plays Jeff Ho...

Animals (2026)

Animals is written and directed by Ben Affleck , who has shown with films like Argo and The Town that he can be a solid filmmaker when everything comes together. Unfortunately, Animals is all over the place. The movie is filled with race pandering, victim blaming, West-hating dialogue, and situations that fall apart if you spend more than five minutes thinking about them. The characters frequently make decisions that do not make sense, and the story struggles to convince you that any of this is unfolding naturally. Ben Affleck is equally inconsistent as an actor. There are moments when he is on point, but others where he veers into overacting. His crying, in particular, feels more annoying than emotionally convincing. Instead of making the audience feel what his character is going through, the performance can pull you right out of the scene. It is frustrating because Affleck has demonstrated that he can deliver much stronger performances, but this is not one of them. Gillian Ande...

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023)

  Shazam! Fury of the Gods  is the sequel, and probably the last Shazam! movie for a while. With the reboot coming later this year, any setup this has for an end to a trilogy is up in the air. Directed by David F. Sandberg,  who I loved for Lights Out . It's interesting that James Wan, known for horror took David F Sandberg under his wing and now they both direct major DC super hero movies. They should really stick to horror. Maybe I'm just biased because I love horror. Henry Gayden  is back in the writing room, even though it wasn't the writing that brought people to see the first Shazam! This time I think the writing is actually worse. There are subplots that land and some that feel overly forced and politicized. Some actors didn't get enough dialogue or scenes to do much in. Some characters felt throwaway and to check a box. Grace Caroline Currey was top-billed or at least is at the top of the list for IMDB. She really carries the film for Shazam, she makes all th...