Skip to main content

The Strangers: Prey at Night

The Strangers: Prey at Night is the follow up to the 2008 film The Strangers. The premise is pretty much the same except it's at a mobile home park and it's a family of four.

Bryan Bertino did the original and wrote this follow up's screenplay. The dialogue and structure of the film is very 80s horror and throws in a lot of tropes that audiences have come to expect. It's formulaic and predictable if you're an adult. This film is rated R but for some reason, the kills that were used throughout the film were generally muted. Sure there's blood but I left the theater thinking that I saw a PG-13 film.

Johannes Roberts has improved since doing 47 meters down. Don't ask me why that film got a sequel. This man loves his horror films and it shows. There are some camera and editing problems but nothing too major. He used the zoom function of the camera so much in the film. There are parts where I could see intent on how he chose the shot and then others seem random. Randomness is a theme to the film so I suppose there's a connection there.

I wish there was more Christina Hendricks, not just because she was in one of my favorite movies of all time, Drive, but because she can act really well and I felt she was just briefly in the film even though she's credited first.

Daughter of Christina Hendricks was the wonderful Bailee Madison who you'll recognize from the television show Good Witch or The Fosters. I believe, maybe foolishly, but I believe that there was intent on how Kinsey emoted at the beginning of the film. I suppose I should say lack thereof. There is a bigger character arc if at the beginning there are little expressions on an actress's face so that when there's horror there's a drastic change in how the audience sees her. She nails the horror queen, Laurie Strode, scream, and whimpering.

The bigger problems with the acting come from the two males in the film. They were stereotypic with underdeveloped characters and poorly written excuses to separate the family from each other. The choices they make are a roller coaster of fickleness.

I disagree with some of the critics on just how bad of a film most believe it was. It's not that bad. Sure the final scenes are an eye roller and the first ten minutes aren't all that interesting, but I enjoyed the hunt and horror the rest of the film provided. I didn't like it as much as the first but I think Bailee Madison carried the film pretty well.

Result: C (The Ritual is a better choice and you don't have to leave home to watch that horror film.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023)

  Shazam! Fury of the Gods  is the sequel, and probably the last Shazam! movie for a while. With the reboot coming later this year, any setup this has for an end to a trilogy is up in the air. Directed by David F. Sandberg,  who I loved for Lights Out . It's interesting that James Wan, known for horror took David F Sandberg under his wing and now they both direct major DC super hero movies. They should really stick to horror. Maybe I'm just biased because I love horror. Henry Gayden  is back in the writing room, even though it wasn't the writing that brought people to see the first Shazam! This time I think the writing is actually worse. There are subplots that land and some that feel overly forced and politicized. Some actors didn't get enough dialogue or scenes to do much in. Some characters felt throwaway and to check a box. Grace Caroline Currey was top-billed or at least is at the top of the list for IMDB. She really carries the film for Shazam, she makes all th...

The Social Reckoning (2026)

The Social Reckoning is written and directed by Aaron Sorkin , who is better known for his writing than his directing, and it shows. Compared to David Fincher's vision in The Social Network , the direction here is a noticeable step down. Thankfully, the writing is top tier and easily on par with some of Sorkin's best work. The dialogue is sharp, the story holds your attention, and the script gives the cast plenty to work with. The movie is good, but it is not going to be for everyone. Mikey Madison , known for Anora and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood , is a standout as Frances Haugen . She does an excellent job convincing the audience that she is socially awkward and a genuine nerd without making the performance feel forced. It is the kind of role that could easily become a caricature in the wrong hands, but Madison makes the character believable and gives the film one of its strongest performances. Jeremy Allen White , best known for The Bear and Shameless , plays Jeff Ho...