Skip to main content

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)

The Cloverfield Paradox is a science fiction film set in the Cloverfield universe where scientists are trying to solve the energy crisis with a hadron collider in space.

I had never heard of the director before today, Julius Onah, and after today I'd say he's competent. The shots he chooses to use are interesting and different. He uses classic shots like in the position of power the person should look down on the weaker and vice versa. Also, I didn't notice any problems with the shots used during dialog. The last shot of the film was the only moment where I tilted my head in wonder as to why he chose that. It posed a lot of questions, which is both good and bad.

The writer is Oren Uziel. He wrote 22 Jump Street and Shimmer Lake and has proven that he can write both science fiction, crime, and comedy. Not many people can say they've done the same. The writing has some problems and I can't really get into spoilers but you'll find yourself asking 'How?' at some of the events that happen which I imagine fanboys will say that it's a paradox, you don't need to understand. As a man of reason and mathematics, I couldn't overlook some of the flaws in the writing. Side note: he's also writing the reboot for Mortal Kombat.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw plays the main character who has lost her children due to a tragic accident. It's a key bit of information that the beginning glosses over due to the writing. It's not a spoiler, and you should know this going in. She is convincing throughout the film and I couldn't find anything wrong with her performance. She can convey messages without having to speak which is key to a great performance. You might recognize her for her brief appearance on a show called Doctor Who.

Daniel Brühl plays Schmidt. I loved his performance in Inglourious Basterds and as Zemo in Captian America: Civil War. His character is interesting enough and has a few scenes with Ziyi Zhang, the woman from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and, my favorite of her performances, Hero. I can't really say too much about what their characters do without spoiling anything but safe to say Brühl does great and Zhang is here to sell the movie to the Chinese audiences. There is a lot of Mandarin spoken in this film.

Result: B- (It's above average, the second movie was much better, and I do look forward to the next) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can See Everything (2026)

You Can See Everything is a documentary about Elizabeth Holmes and the thirty four days leading up to her imprisonment. Directed by Nathan Fielder , best known for Nathan for You , the film brings his trademark dry delivery and sense of humor to a story that is already absurd enough to be a comedy. There are plenty of comedic moments, but most of them come from watching Holmes and the people around her behave in ways that are difficult to believe. Her husband, Billy Evans , is just as fascinating to watch, and not necessarily for the right reasons. The dynamic between Elizabeth Holmes and Billy Evans is one of the most interesting aspects of the documentary. Both come across as strange characters, and the film constantly makes you question whether they are genuinely insane together or simply master manipulators. The documentary provides enough evidence to support either interpretation, but never quite gives you a definitive answer. That ambiguity is part of what makes the relation...

Street Fighter (2026)

Street Fighter pays plenty of homage to the games and even the 1994 movie of the same name. Written by Dalan Musson , the screenwriter behind Captain America: Brave New World , and directed by Kitao Sakurai , who previously directed Eric Andre in Bad Trip , the movie clearly understands that Street Fighter is supposed to be ridiculous. Eric Andre brings his usual childish humor to a movie that often feels like it was made for teenage boys rather than the people who actually grew up playing these games. The choreography is great, but the direction is all over the place. I am part of the target demographic for a Street Fighter movie, but I am clearly not the demographic this film was trying to reach. I know it's easy to say you're a fan, so here's my achievement tracker for Street Fighter IV. Noah Centineo is a great Ken Masters . He has the charisma and personality needed to play the character, and he does a good job capturing the cocky attitude that makes Ken entertai...

The Lazarus Effect (2015)

The Lazarus Effect is a film I never got around to watching when it was released in 2015 so seeing it eleven years later certainly makes for an interesting experience. Directed by David Gelb , best known for the documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi , the film tries to blend scientific experimentation with supernatural horror. Unfortunately, it spends far too much time explaining the science behind its premise and not nearly enough time making any of it frightening. There is an interesting concept buried underneath all the exposition, but the movie seems more concerned with explaining how everything works than actually scaring its audience. Olivia Wilde , known for Tron: Legacy and House , is probably the film's biggest asset, though not necessarily because of her acting. She has a screen presence that keeps the movie interesting whenever she is around, and the direction wisely seems to understand that she is more effective on screen than some of her costars. Unfortunately, the film d...