Skip to main content

Groundhog Day (1993)

Groundhog Day is about a weatherman who is reliving the same day again and again until he gets it right.

The film is written and directed by Harold Ramis, the longtime friend and fellow Ghostbuster to Bill Murray. Comedy and direction aren't usually something people compare but Ramis allows Murray to fill out the role and put his whole shtick on it and it pays off. What he did with the writing is the reason this is one of my favorite Bill Murray/Harold Ramis films.

Bill Murray has a certain kind of humor that most people think is great. He's a legend in comedy and his dry delivery in this film is perfect for who he plays and him as an actor. He's not the same as he was in Ghostbuster or Stripes either, but it still has his flare of

Andie MacDowell plays the love interest to Murray. One of the problems I had with the film originally was that she didn't have many flaws and therefore made her less interesting of a character. She just serves the role of the attractive and smart woman. I felt she played a better character in the 96' movie Michael.

Chris Elliot plays the cameraman and has a more interesting character than MacDowell's because there is some variety for Elliott. Although he is usually typecasted as a weird or sleazy guy who is unsuccessful with women. See How I Met Your Mother or Scary Movie 2.

I could watch this movie on any given day and be entertained. Although, like the movie, watching this movie and over again on the same day would get old. This movie begs the question of what would you do if you could relive the same day. Would you go the route Murray does and learn something new like the piano? For me, I'd probably learn a bunch of languages before getting thrown out of the loop. I just hope I don't end up like Tom Cruise in Live, Die, Repeat.

Result: A- (My complaints are minimal, but this is a pretty high score for a comedy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...