Skip to main content

Straight Outta Compton (2015)


Straight Outta Compton is a biopic about the LA centered rap group NWA. Directed by F. Gary Gray and nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay.

Director F. Gary Gray isn't necessarily a household name. Though if one were to look up his credentials, you'd start to appreciate him more. He's directed The Fate of the Furious, Friday, and my favorite The Negotiator. The direction in the film has little problems but there's nothing special. Which is why I thought this film didn't get nominated for direction or best movie. The writing, oddly enough, was my biggest complaint.

The movie itself is about NWA, but for the character of Ice Cube, played by his son O'Shea Jackson Jr., has a deeper connection since Ice Cube and F. Gary Gray actually worked together on Friday 20 years ago. Other than looking like his father, Jackson delivers an amazing performance to the point I forget that's not actually Ice Cube on the screen.

The best performance I saw was from Corey Hawkins. He played Dr. Dre in the movie and does a wonderful job showing just how difficult it was for him to make it to where Dre is today. Hawkins didn't really do much before this film, but since then he went on to have a role in Kong: Skull Island and the TV series 24: Legacy as Eric Carter. Look for him in the upcoming Spike Lee movie called Black Klansman.

Jason Mitchell plays Eazy-E and he plays the part well with a few exceptions. There are scenes between himself and their manager, Jerry, that just feel out of place due to the dialogue. Jason Mitchel hasn't done much in the past but reunited with his fellow NWA actor, Hawkins, in Kong: Skull Island.

Paul Giamatti has been in too many movies. He's such a skilled actor that his performance in this movie, however good, suffers. Whenever he's on screen I'm constantly thinking: "Hey, that's Paul Giamatti." Is there such a thing as being too recognizable?

I didn't know the story going in, only bits and pieces. Mostly since I wasn't born at the time. It's a good history lesson and deepens your appreciation for the music genre.

Result: A- (I highly recommend this for any movie enthusiast)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...