Skip to main content

Phantom Thread (2017)

Phantom Thread (2017) is written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. In the 50s, a British dressmaker falls in love with a waitress only to have her find out that he's very picky about most things.

The problem when watching "artistic" movies is that there's going to be symbolism almost throughout the film. Phantom Thread is not shy on the symbolism and it suffers more than it helps. It almost seemed like a test for Paul Thomas Anderson to say 'I wonder if I can get away with this and still get an Oscar nomination.' I'm not hating on PTA, I mean he did There Will Be Blood, one of my favorite movies.

Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the best, if not the best actor ever and continues to show it. There's not a scene of his acting that I can complain about. I expected such going in.

Vicky Krieps plays the female lead, Alma, and can't hold a candle to Lewis and in such her performance is easily criticizable. She has two good scenes in the film, and the rest feel as if you're watching paint dry. She pauses for about three seconds before answering any question. After fifteen minutes of that, I was already tired of her.

Lesley Manville plays the sister of Lewis, Cyril, and has an easy role for an English woman to fill. She does a decent job, but nothing out of her wheelhouse.

The first third of the movie is the most boring, and it's intentionally boring. I'm serious, it's apart of the symbolism in the film that will make sense later. The dialogue is good and befitting. The choice in camera usage was offputting at some points. A particular scene went from shaky handheld to stationary, then to steady cam. The abrupt changes were something most of the movie-going audience won't notice. Then again most people won't go out and watch this.

Result: B (Unless you're a movie buff, you're gonna get bored.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...