Skip to main content

Mom and Dad (2018)

Mom and Dad is about two teenagers who try to survive a zombie-like apocalypse that causes mothers and fathers to attempt to murder their children in whatever "happening" manner.

Mom and Dad is written and directed by Brian Taylor. Taylor is best known for the Crank movies and Gamer. Those were high action, adrenaline filled thrill rides and Mom and Dad is no exception. The pacing of the film is intentionally fast and once you think you're done with one scene it melds into another heart-racing scene.

Selma Blair plays the bigger part in the film as the Mom of two. She has a complicated relationship with her daughter and with her husband. There are little interactions with her son as that is saved for Cage's character. She's better than I expected, especially since I haven't seen her act since Hellboy II.

Nicolas Cage is a hit or miss actor and this movie has Cage dialed to eleven. His quirks and ticks are back as well as the extreme back and forth emotions that he can do. He controls every scene that he's in and increases the tension past where it's supposed to be. It has everything you want from a Cage performance.

The kids in the movie are kinda meh. Don't expect anything good out of them.

I can't think of a movie that made me dread seeing what was going to happen next. There's just this one scene in a hospital that I couldn't stomach to watch. I had to close my eyes and plug my ears and wait for it to pass.

Result: B (It's a popcorn movie. You know what I mean. Shut your brain off.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colony (2026)

Colony is written and directed by Yeon Sang-ho , the director behind the cult classic Train to Busan . While Train to Busan has become the more celebrated film, Colony shows how much Yeon has improved as both a writer and a director. The story is stronger, the filmmaking feels more confident, and the way he builds the world gives the movie more substance than I expected going in. Jun Ji-hyun is the clear standout of the cast. She does a fantastic job conveying emotion through subtle movements and expressions rather than relying on exaggerated acting. That is not surprising considering she is one of South Korea's best actresses, but she still manages to make the character feel grounded and believable. She carries much of the emotional weight of the film. I did not recognize many of the other actors, and unfortunately, none of them really stood out enough to make much of an impression. That is not necessarily a knock against the cast as much as it is a testament to how much Jun ...

Verity (2026)

Verity was a surprise for me. Normally, the authors who turn their books into movies that I actually enjoy are Stephen King or Michael Crichton , but Colleen Hoover has been doing surprisingly well with the last four movies adaptations from her work. One thing I appreciate about her writing is that she knows how to write male characters who aren't weak or simply there to be punching bags for feminist talking points. That alone makes the characters feel more believable and gives the story a better balance. Dakota Johnson plays an up and coming writer who is brought in to ghostwrite for Anne Hathaway's character. This is easily Johnson's best performance yet. She does a good job carrying the movie and making the character's uncertainty and curiosity believable as the mystery around the house starts to unfold. Anne Hathaway does not have a huge amount to do because of her character's condition, but whenever she is actually on screen, she brings the energy you wo...

Digger (2026)

Digger is directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and stars Tom Cruise as Digger Rockwell. Much like his name, there is a lot of symbolism and meaning packed into the film, along with plenty of references that brought a smile to my face. I went into this expecting it to be pretentious or outright bad because that was the prevailing opinion online before general audiences had even had a chance to see it. Anyone calling this movie pretentious clearly has not seen The Death of Robin Hood or Die My Love . Die My Love was so pretentious that my wife actually begged me to leave the theater, and I had to finish it another day. Digger , on the other hand, actually understands the difference between being ambitious and simply being self-important. Tom Cruise is great as Digger Rockwell, giving the character exactly the kind of larger-than-life personality the movie needs. There is so much going on beneath the surface that I found myself constantly looking for the symbolism and references hidden...